Friday, May 12, 2006

Back on Da Mic!


Haha...so it's been over 7 years, but I decided to join a MC Battle (yes 8 mile style) at UCLA two nights ago. I used to battle rhyme in hi skool, but I haven't done it since I was 18. Recently, I've been doing Bible studies with the hip hop community at UCLA, I really felt inspired to join dis mc battle so I could connect better w/ the hip hop community on campus. Lol..they all know I'm da dude preachn on Bruin Walk so it was definitely a interesting experience. All in all, it was alot of fun. If you know how a mc battle works, it can be brutal. Since, I couldn't diss directly at my opponents I had to come creative. By God's grace I made it into the semi-finals. haha...seriously, dat was a miracle considering I hadn't battled in years. It was fun and I was able to promote not only hip hop culture, but Christ-culture to da ucla crowd. God loves Hip-Hop. word.

haha..they even wrote up an article on the front page of the daily bruin quoting me..

Another MC was JaeQuest, whose real name is Jaeson Ma. Also different from the typical MC stereotype popularized by rapper Eminem in the movie "8 Mile," Ma is the pastor for UCLA's Passion Church.

Though he had not rapped since high school seven years ago, Ma drew on his day job for the night's activity. In response to a particularly angry line by opponent No Can Do, he responded with, "God bless."

Ma said the most important aspect about freestyle rapping is to not take the insults on stage seriously. People should instead see it as a way to "challenge creativity."

"You gotta come up with responses, punch lines and witty words," Ma said. "It's all working at the same time – your mouth, your body, the whole atmosphere."



http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/articles.asp?id=37140

4 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 06:48:00 AM , Blogger benson said...

haha that's tight man. redemption.

 
At 5/12/2006 09:00:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I wish i was there to hear it. Was it anything like "Da Truth"????

 
At 5/22/2006 03:28:00 PM , Blogger gloria said...

woohoo!!! that's awesome!!! since i last saw 8 mile, i was wondering if anyone could battle w/o manipulation and anger...you did it!!

 
At 9/04/2006 08:14:00 AM , Blogger ANdrew said...

hot stuff... i saw one of ur free styles on youtube... pretty awesome~ haha ~ i like the name "Jaequest" pretty suave...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home