Friday, September 28, 2007

Revolutionary Quotes from a Revolutionary Disciple

One of my passions is studying the biographies of great men and women of God. I try to read through one a month. In particular, the life of John Wesley has always challenged me beyond measure. His dedication to preach the Gospel among the poor, the down trodden, broken and lost. His courage to be obedient to God's will in the face of opposition and religious persecution. His resolve to please God and not man. I once read that he said that if he didn't get kicked out of a town he was preaching in, then he was utterly convinced that he did not truly preach the Gospel. How many of us get kicked out of pulpits, street corners or church meetings for our preaching? The cross is offensive, Jesus was a revolutionary, he was either loved or hated.

I was studying earlier this week in my Fuller Seminary course on the life of John Wesley. I found the following quotes below from Mr. Wesley and while reading them my spirit was greatly challenged to live a life of costly discipleship. That is, to submit to my master Jesus and have no other desire but to please Him in all things at all times, that this be my only desire, my only aim. God use my life like John Wesley, even if it only be 10% to his capacity, You used this man to spark an awakening and missionary movement in this nation, he was a revolutionary in his day who affected change and brought heaven to a hell bent America. Lord do the same with me and thousands of others in this hour, raise up John Wesley's on every campus and city in this nation, awaken this generation. turn the heart of this generation back to You. amen.

" Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in every place you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as long as ever you can"

" Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn."

" When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart."

" When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me"

"Once in seven years I burn all my sermons; for it is a shame, if I cannot write better sermons now than I did seven years ago."

"Give me 100 men who hate evil and love good, and I care not one whit whether they are clergy or laity, with these men I will change the world and usher in the kingdom of God in one generation."


"Mr. Wesley with so much to do in a day how is it that you can find time to pray four hours a day? Wesley response, "With so much to do in a day how can I not pray four hours a day?"

There are some other powerful lessons from Wesley

Whitfield was by far the better know minister during that era. Whitfield was famous and invited to speak to larger crowds But Wesley went about forming “ CLASSES” everywhere which become eventually churches and became the Methodist movement. “Methodist” was a term of scorn since Wesley taught METHODS to study the Bible , methods to form groups and methods to have a daily quiet time He was scorned , but created a movement and while little lasting fruit could be traced to the ministry of Whitfield.

Another key item in Wesley’s story was his habit when ever he got of his horse in a new place and met his local committee He spent time enquiring of each of them “How is it with you soul brother” He dealt with each person individually about the state of their relationship with God prior to getting down to details of the ministry or plans for the meeting each evening.

7 Comments:

At 9/28/2007 10:32:00 AM , Blogger millie said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN! THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS! :)

 
At 9/28/2007 01:51:00 PM , Blogger innerman316 said...

Jaeson, which books on Wesley do you recommend?..thanks!

 
At 9/28/2007 05:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The righteous cry out,and the LORD hears them;he delivers them from all their troubles.The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.A righteous man may have many troubles,but the LORD delivers him from them all;he protects all his bones,not one of them will be broken.The LORD redeems his servants;no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.Why are you downcast,O my soul?Why so disturbed within me?Put your hope in God,for I will yet praise him,my Savior and my God.O LORD Almighty,blessed is the man who trusts in you.(psalms34:17-20.22/42:5/84:12)

 
At 9/28/2007 07:32:00 PM , Blogger David said...

"Give me 100 men who hate evil and love good, and I care not one whit whether they are clergy or laity, with these men I will change the world and usher in the kingdom of God in one generation."

Wooooooooooooo! that is crazy stuff. I think I just found my favorite quote.

 
At 9/29/2007 07:51:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Jaeson,

You are invaluable -- not for what you do, not for how apostolic/international your ministry is, not for how many simple churches you have catalyzed, not for how many thousands you have mobilized, not for anything you do. You are invaluable for who you are. I pray you can also put yourself first in all the explosion of your ministry. May God order your steps, may you only run to the rhytm of His heart -- not any other, and may you find all you need in Him. Praying for Him to cover you in His blood. Praying for Him to draw you near as you draw near. Praying for you to have the mind of Christ. Praying for you to inherit what He purchased on the cross. Praying for Him to touch you mightily. Put yourself first Pastor Jaeson. May your own vineyard flourish (song of Songs 1). May His love be enough. Praying Psalm 91 over you.

 
At 9/29/2007 07:51:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ying for Him to cover you in His blood. Praying for Him to draw you near as you draw near. Praying for you to have the mind of Christ. Praying for you to inherit what He purchased on the cross. Praying for Him to touch you mightily. Put yourself first Pastor Jaeson. May your own vineyard flourish (song of Songs 1). May His love be enough. Praying Psalm 91 over you.

 
At 9/29/2007 09:56:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across a video on youtube on your preaching at University of Texas. It reminded me some of the lessions God has been teaching me. I realized that I'm afraid of doing GREAT things, to heal the sick, cast out demons, raise the dead, etc. This week, a teacher who I very well, had gotten in a scooter accident and fractured his hand. I asked God if He would him if I prayed, God answered "Why not?", yet even then I doubted and thought maybe God doesn't want to heal him.... However, sometimes during the week, he went to check his hand and the doctor told him that the fracture was gone. When I heard that I praised God but at the same time I felt ashamed that I had doubted God's will to heal him. Hadn't Jesus healed people to reveal God's glory? Thank you for reminding me that God calls us to do great things in Him who makes all things possible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home