Friday, November 17, 2006

It's a Wonderful Life indeed :)



I've been watching a lot of my favorite movies up here in Canada. I just got done watching my favorite movie of all time once again, "It's A Wonderful Life." Man, this movie gets me every time. George Bailey, haha, I love this guy, I feel like I identify with him on so many levels. I think most men do, that's why this movie is so loved. Many times in life, we may feel that what we do in life is meaningless, worthless, not that important, we feel like we fail, we feel like we could always do better, we don't believe in ourselves and even think that our lives are a waste. We always live for the future, hoping to better ourselves, reach a goal or achieve some kind of level of success, but in the pursuit of these things, we forget what really matters and what true success is. Success is not in our achievements, it is not in our not failing, it is not in our perfect record of being this or doing that, of having more or getting "there" that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that we are always chasing, but rather success is life itself. It is the ability to make the most of what we have been given, the grace to accept our failures, ourselves, for who we are, faults and all, and realize that life can be enjoyable when we live our lives as honest, and as best we can. Yes, we are going to fail, things will not turn out the way we wish, there will be disappointments and set backs, but ultimately, life is worth living. Life is worth living when you know and remind yourself that your life counts, you might not think it does, but in God's eyes, in the eyes of someone else, it does. It means more than you will ever know. You may never see it, but others do, I believe that. Sometimes we focus so much on the bad in our lives, the areas that need improvement, and we forget to see that good in our hearts, the good that has been done through our words and actions. I don't think God looks at our faults and says, "Why can't you do better?" or "What is wrong with you?" Rather, Father God in heaven is so proud of our hearts, He really is, I believe this with everything in me, I have to, or He wouldn't be a good God to believe in. Every now and then I get down on myself, I feel like I've failed others, I haven't done enough, or I made and make too many mistakes and I've sacrificed all for nothing, the enemy would want me to think this way, to feel like I didn't measure up, that I'm not good enough for the people that I love and care for or I haven't done enough for God and His kingdom. But, after watching movies like this, I realize again what life is all about, it's simply about learning to love life and enjoy all that has been given to you by God. Whether it be bad, whether it be good, it is to be enjoyed. I'm not talking about sin, but I'm talking about your circumstances, the things you can control and the things you can't, learning to be thankful for "everything" because "everything is beautiful" yes, even our weaknesses and failures, in God's eyes they are beautiful when seen in the light of His grace and strengthened with the unconditional power of His love. George Bailey, this guy thought he wasted his life, he didn't want to live anymore, he felt like a total failure, but he never really realized the beauty he had in front of him, his beautiful wife, his wonderful kids, family and friends. He helped so many people, but he never realized the impact he had made. He was always wishing and chasing after this dream, this prophecy to be rich and travel the world, this destiny that in his mind, he thought would be the thing that would satisfy and accomplish him, make him a success. He kept living in the future and missed the joy of living right now. In the end, he realized it's not what we achieve in this life, as in what we do, who we know, what we have, but rather it is relishing, cherishing and being thankful, oh so thankful for what we are doing, who we do know and what we have right now, namely, our family and friends. The ones who we really love and truly love us. At the end of the movie, his friends from Bedford Falls all chip in on Christmas night to empty out their savings to pay for the debt he had accumulated, it's a powerful moment of what life is all about, loving one another. wow. George Bailey is the richest man in town, not because of money, but because of friends. My favorite quote at the end of the movie...

"Remember no man is a failure who has friends" Clarence "the angel"

Love never fails. And where there is love in ones heart, failure is not possible. Life is worth living, enjoy every moment, every person, every friendship, enjoy it all, everything is beautiful. It's a wonderful life indeed :)

7 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 11:43:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jaeson. thanks for this post. it really touched me...it was the perfect word at the perfect time. my post today was ironically about focusing on all my faults...heh.

 
At 11/18/2006 01:13:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/5ba578a7-b58c-4ff4-a086-90e1ec910372

LET'S PAINT THE TOWN IN RED!!!!
YES!

 
At 11/18/2006 06:41:00 PM , Blogger becky said...

I'll have to see that movie again. =)

 
At 11/19/2006 10:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your post. It is definitely an encouragement to me

lily

 
At 12/04/2006 03:42:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jaes!

I watched this movie at a point in my life when I felt depressed, felt like a complete failure, and felt the extent and meaning of my own worthlessness. The devil fed me a big, fat fib that I swallowed for a long time. Later, I came to realize that my previous self-concept was a big, fat lie. Like we know - the devil is bad all the time. But, God is good, all the time. No exceptions for either party, there.

I remember George realized he still had potential to impact those around him. Often, in our greatest times of need, there is someone in greater need on the street corner, in an alley, behind a cashier at the grocery store/pharmacy/retail shop, or even in a cab - the taxi driver. We all have our shares of pain in our lives. However, in God's Kingdom, pain always means eternal gain. Always. Once again, no exceptions. For, our treasures are stored up in heaven, NOT on earth.

Jaeson: we might be a "flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow, a wave tossed in the ocean, a vapor tossed in the ocean" (Who am I? by Casting Crowns)... But, "The Lord of all the Earth cares to know our name, cares to feel our hurt, and the Bright and Morning Star would choose to light the way for our ever-wandering heart. All because of Who He Is and what He has done." (actual lyrics with my paraphrases)

Remember this, too: a flower, even with its transient beauty while in full bloom, always carries a sweet fragrance. My wave will be used with other Christian waves to bring about wave upon wave of the Holy Spirit's Renewal and Revival. As for the vapor, may we all be the vapors that remind us of The River of Life.

You can post this comment, Jaes, only if you think this comment will help and impact others. Remember you said that life is a beautiful struggle? Let's spread the word & The Word. Sweet! An eternal deal!

I hope you are well. I am still praying for you and your ministry every single day.

 
At 12/04/2006 08:49:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

hey jaeson! this is emily from HOC (yeah, the one you encountered on faqqly haha) and i just really really wanted to thank you for this post. i just came back home after taking a final tonight (it's finals week this week... yikes) and felt really down on myself because i knew that i did badly.. and then started to like...get all negative on myself haha. God couldn't have let me read this entry at a better time =] Thanks Jaeson.

 
At 1/12/2007 01:38:00 PM , Blogger Jaeson Ma said...

hey everyboday thanks for the comments! this is going to be a great year in the Lord indeed, keep loving to live and living to love! jaes

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home